Blackberry’s poor performance in the Second quarter which also brought about the organization being sold off, is more stunning than some may consider. Just 5 years prior, the organization’s performance was at its crest when it was estimated at about $80 billion, 17 times more than the present sum, at which the organization is being sold.
Nonetheless, the explanation for why this news is Bad is in light of the fact that the fall of Blackberry comes during a period of ascent of BYOD. In one sense, it might even be acceptable to say that Blackberry was in fact one of the few organizations who in a way initiated the BYOD trend in IT. The adoption of BYOD got unavoidable because of constant evolution of smartphones and tablets in recent few years.
Blackberry launched The Blackberry Enterprise Service (BES) version 10 earlier this year in January with numerous major changes and enhancements. It provided Enterprise Mobile Management (EMM) solution, extending its support beyond BlackBerry smartphone’s and tablet’s, BES 10 supports iOS and Android too
BES 10 not only provides Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution but also provides upgraded Security and emphasizes on present BYOD concerns. Blackberry’s messaging and email service still remains to be the most reliable and secure way of communication in the corporate world.
BES Impact on BYOD
BES 10 bundles with the Blackberry Z10 model, provides solution to many present BYOD challenges. Here are 5 ways BES 10 and above addresses some of the BYOD concerns:
1. Control over Environment
It streamlines the Multiplatform Mobility Management with a few focal points, for example:
- Security: Different levels and types of Security depending upon the users and/or their devices.
- Multi – Platforms: Managing devices irrespective of whether it is a Blackberry, iOS or Android. The work never halts no matter what device is used.
- Support: Assistance over Telephone and Email.
2. A Secure Work Space on your Device
For a secure communication, BES 10 provides the following benefits:
- Preventing access to unauthorized devices
- End-to-end encryption for protection against any possible interception
- Company confidential data and applications on the devices remain secure
And what’s more that differentiates Blackberry 10 devices from other smartphones are the following features that Blackberry introduced, to address some BYOD challenges. Some of which are:
- Keeps the Users and Company’s space for Information and Applications separate
- 256-bit AES encryption
- FIPS 140-2 Certification
- Password enforcement, remote device lock and wipe
- Ability to deploy enterprise apps via push or self-service download
For the users who carry iOS and Android device, can take advantage of security features too, for example:
- Application Whitelisting
- Password enforcement, remote device lock and wipe
- OS Jailbreaking / Rooting detection
- Automatic actions triggered by out of compliance activity on the device
- drive encryption implementation
- Routing all work information through Blackberry secure connection
3. Containerization for all devices
Blackberry 10 devices:
- BlackBerry Balance gives users their personal space without comprising on the confidentiality of critical data and work space related applications.
- An easy gesture based switch from Personal Space to Work Space which takes care of both, personal Freedom and Privacy in the Personal Space, and Confidentiality in Work Space.
- All kinds of communication in Work Space are completely encrypted, secure and managed.
iOS and Android Devices:
- Both type of devices easily managed through the single BES 10 administration console.
- Work related applications separated from Personal space
- An integrated email, calendar and contacts; an enterprise-level secure browser in Work Space
- Secure attachment viewing and editing with Documents To Go
4. Security Policies for Corporate and BYOD devices:
Basic Mobility Management
- Used when Advanced Security Measures and Policies not needed.
- BES 10 isn’t even necessary to install if a Blackberry 10 device is used, as it provides ActiveSync connectivity right out of box.
- Blackberry 10 devices also support VPN
Enterprise Mobility Management – Corporate
- Security and Controls designed to meet needs of organizations of all sizes.
- Device management for Personal owned and Corporate owned Blackberry, iOS and Android devices.
- A comprehensive app deployment to recommend users to install important applications through Blackberry World, in the Work Space.
Enterprise Mobility Management – Regulated
- Ultimate device management solution for highest level of security
- Administrators may even control device features such as Camera, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, and prohibit the use of social media completely
- It is a level of security favored by government and such powerful authorities
5. BYOD organization is simpler to administer
A single user-friendly management console for administering all Blackberry, iOS and Android devices. Dashboard has unified data metric which can be detailed to create reports in more areas such as; Device activations, Device last contact time, Device compliance state, Devices by platform, Devices by carriers, Top five applications deployed and Top five mobile devices.
This is basically an outline of key characteristics of how having BES 10 grouped with Blackberry 10 devices has a gigantic effect on the BYOD challenges. Another focus being BES 10 is of the few Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions to support wide range of platforms like Blackberry, iOS and Android.
Be that as it may, the acquisition of Blackberry raises numerous unanswered questions concerning the organization’s future and the BYOD solutions it presently offers. Of course the organization is not dead; however it is challenging to presume anything at the moment about the developments of BlackBerry Enterprise Services few years down the line.
Note: The article is based on the WhitePaper by Blackberry, on MDM solution and it first appeared on InfoWorld.